Graduate Blog

To submit an item for the graduate blog, email Joan Christian.

May 2, 2016

To ensure that you receive summer 2016 health coverage and benefits, please make sure you read the health coverage information online and take action as appropriate. 

The Enrollment/Change period for Summer 2016 is May 13, 2016 through June 03, 2016. During this time, students can go to the Student Health Insurance website and waive the Student Health Insurance fee. Can also go to their MyAccount where they can add dependents online. Students who wish to reinstate back into the plan, must visit the Student Health Insurance Office located in McKinley Health Center, lower level Room 29 and fill out the appropriate paperwork, in person.  For more information, contact (217) 333-0165 or

May 2, 2016

Wednesday, May 4, 5 - 6 p.m., Siebel Center, room 2405


This information session will focus on the recent announcement of the Optional Practical Training (OPT) 24 month extension, and information regarding eligibility of students to the new rule. Whether you are graduating soon, or have future plans to obtain employment authorization after graduation, this workshop should be useful to attend and will provide information about OPT rules, regulations and application procedures, as well as answers to general OPT questions the audience may have. Speakers are from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). This event is sponsored by the Engineering Graduate Student Advisory Council (EGSAC). Questions? Contact Wui Chung at

May 2, 2016

Starting May 1, 2016, doctoral students will no longer be required to make their dissertation available through ProQuest. We encourage students to consult with their adviser and department on this option. Students will indicate their choice when submitting their dissertation through the Graduate College’s dissertation submission system, and the campus will transfer the materials to ProQuest if the student selects this option.

For more information, visit the Release Options page on the Thesis Office website.

May 2, 2016

Do you have an Incomplete from Fall 2015? May 5 is the last day for a faculty member to submit a grade to change an I grade or DFR grade in a non-thesis course from Fall 2015 to prevent an F by rule on your academic record. The F may affect Academic Standing which is calculated at the end of the semester.

May 5 is the deadline to drop a Spring 2016 semester course with a W recorded. To drop a course, you will need to complete a Late Course Change form with the approval of your academic program. A W will be recorded on your academic record for the course.

May 5 is the deadline to withdraw from ALL semester courses. To withdraw from all Spring 2016 semester courses, you will need to complete a Withdrawal/Cancellation form and obtain a signature from your academic program. If you are an international student, you will need to get a signature from International Student Scholar Services. W’s will be recorded on your academic record.

May 5 is the deadline to add a Spring 2016 semester course. You will need to complete a Late Course Change form and obtain the approval of the course instructor and your academic program. If the course is from a department other than your academic program, you will also need to obtain the approval of the enrolling department.

Late Course Change forms and Withdrawal/Cancellation forms need to be delivered to the Graduate College, 204 Coble Hall, before 5:00 p.m. on Reading Day, Thursday, May 5.