BS + MS Program
Cooperative agreements with overseas universities facilitate student exchange and collaborations in research and education. Among them, the B.S.+M.S. program allows international students to spend their senior year at Illinois, obtain a Bachelor of Science degree from their home institution, and continue their education to earn a Master of Science degree from CEE at Illinois.
The following universities have cooperative agreements with CEE at Illinois:
- Abu Dhabi University
- American University of Ras al-Khaimah
- Beijing Jiaotong University
- Central South University
- Chang'an University
- Dalian University of Technology
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Guangzhou University (details to come)
- Instituto Tecnológico de Santo Domingo
- Istanbul Technical University
- National Cheng Kung University
- South China University of Technology
- Southeast University
- Southwest Jiaotong University
- Tecnológico de Monterrey
- Tongji University
- Tsinghua University
- University of Jinan (details to come)
- Universidad Panamericana (details to come)
- Zhejiang University
This program allows the student to spend his or her senior year at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, earn a Bachelor of Science degree from the partner university, and then earn a Master of Science degree from the University of Illinois in one year. Students will typically spend three years at their home university and two years at Illinois to complete B.S. and M.S. degrees in five years.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering in Civil Engineering and Environmental Science in Civil Engineering. Advanced degrees are also available in a variety of specialized areas, including Structural, Geotechnical, Environmental, Water Resources, Materials, Transportation and Construction Management. Students can also develop cross-disciplinary programs in consultation with their advisers.
The Civil and Environmental Engineering program allows students to take the non-thesis option and earn an M.S. degree in one year at Illinois. The non-thesis option (only coursework) requires 36 hours of course credit. Each full advanced level course is equivalent to 4 hours of course credit, therefore students who complete 9 full courses will achieve 36 hours of course credit.
- Earn degrees from two prestigious universities
- Learn from and interact with world-class faculty
- Use state-of-the-art research and teaching facilities
- Select from a comprehensive list of courses
- Explore specialty areas within Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Collaborate with top students around the world
- Prepare for a successful career with an integrated B.S.+.M.S. program
Students who aspire to study and work with the top U.S. students in their senior years and continue to earn a master's degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering are eligible to apply. English reading, writing, and communication skills are essential, and all students must meet English Proficiency requirements (TOEFL or IELTS test scores). More details on the requirements are provided in the Application Criteria.
Interested students should email their home university contact for application instructions to be selected. Selected students must then apply online by February 15 using the standard procedures through the Illinois online system.
- Follow the instructions for an international applicant
- Choose the program: Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Degree: Civil Engineering-MS
- Field of Specialization: BS+MS
- Secondary Specialization (optional): Select area of specialization for MS degree
- Start the online application*
- Contact Hannah Christensen with questions
Students in the B.S. + M.S. program are not eligible for CEE funding and financial aid (fellowships and assistantships).
*There is no need to submit proof of funding documents during online application. If you are approved for admission, we will request that you send those documents.
For more information on the B.S.+M.S. program, contact:
Coordinator of International Programs
Phone: (217) 265-8039
Professor Erol Tutumluer
Director of International Programs
Phone: (217) 333-8637
What is the tuition cost for the BS+MS program?
At Illinois, BS+MS Students will be responsible to pay full, non-resident tuition and fees, as assessed to all other international enrollees. Use the Illinois Cost Calculator to estimate the cost of tuition. Select “International” for residency and “Graduate student” level and the term you are applying to be admitted.