Transfer Admissions

Q:  Can I transfer to CEE as a freshman?
A: Freshman students who are not in the College of Engineering, who want to transfer to engineering must apply to the Pre-Engineering Program (PREP). More information can be found at 

Q:  Can freshman in the College of Engineering apply for transfer to CEE?
A:  Yes, please visit the College of Engineering – Changing Majors wiki. Complete a portfolio and visit with Becky Stillwell, Academic Advisor ( or 217-333-3812) to discuss your transfer in person. Once your portfolio is completed you must submit your petition form online

Q:  As a freshman in engineering I transferred to CEE, but really want to be in Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering, can I transfer to my desired department? 
A: No, students are only allowed one transfer within the College of Engineering. If you have more questions please refer to the College of Engineering – Changing Majors wiki.

Q: Are students who entered University of Illinois before Fall 2017 eligible to apply for transfer to the College of Engineering?
A: Please refer to the College of Engineering – Changing Majors wiki.

Q:  Are off campus transfer students who are not in the College of Engineering eligible to apply for transfer?
A: No. please refer to the College of Engineering – Changing Majors wiki.

Q:  Do you have a GPA requirement?
A:  Yes, we require a 3.3 GPA or better with A's and B's, no C's in the technical coursework.

Q:  What courses are required for transfer into CEE?
A: We would like to see MATH 220 or MATH 221, MATH 231, CHEM 102/103, CHEM 104/105, PHYS 211, completed before transfer. We strongly encourage students to complete TAM 211.

Q:  What is the application deadline to transfer?
A: All transfer petitions are to be submitted by October 1 (spring semester) and March 1 (fall semester).  All petitions are reviewed by College of Engineering in 206 Engineering Hall.

Q:  I’m not sure if I want to transfer to CEE.  How can I learn more?
A:  Our CEE Undergraduate Handbook is a great document for learning about the curriculum. Another good idea is visit the Academic Adviser Becky Stillwell. In addition, some students may wish to take CEE195 – About Civil Engineering, a one-credit class offered in fall semesters that addresses all aspects of civil and environmental engineering.


Questions? Contact Us.

Becky Stillwell
Academic Adviser 
1102 Newmark Civil Engineering Lab
205 N. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL  61801
(217) 333-3812