Professional MS Program
One year could make all the difference.
Today the most desirable candidates for civil and environmental engineering positions have advanced degrees.
One of the nation’s top departments, CEE at Illinois, offers the opportunity to earn a master of science degree (non-thesis option) in just 9 to 11 months.
Many students find they have already earned credits that apply toward a graduate degree.
Areas of study*
- Construction Engineering and Management
- Construction Materials
- Energy-Water-Environment Sustainability
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- Environmental Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Railroad Engineering
- Societal Risk Management
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
* Interdisciplinary programs, such as sustainable infrastructure and information technology can be designed in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies.
View the PDFs below to view 11-month course sequences for the following areas of specialization:
- Construction Engineering and Management Sequence (PDF)
- Construction Materials Sequence (PDF)
- Energy-Water-Environment Sustainability (PDF)
- Environmental Engineering Sequence (PDF)
- Environmental Hydrology & Hydraulic Engineering Sequence (PDF)
- Geotechnical Engineering Sequence (PDF)
- Societal Risk Management (PDF)
- Structures Sequence (PDF)
- Transportation Sequence (PDF)
For 11-month course sequences for the following areas, please contact the individuals listed:
- Railroad Engineering, Professor Christopher P.L. Barkan
To apply for the program, visit the Graduate Applications page. When applying, please write "one-year M.S." after your area of specialization.
International applicants who are admitted on Limited Status because of an English deficiency may not be able to complete the M.S. program in 11 months. International applicants must still meet the two year financial certification required by the Graduate College before an I-20 can be issued.
Students with a Research Assistantship will not be able to complete the M.S. program in 11 months. Students who need to take prerequisite classes may not be able to complete the M.S. in 11 months.