Primary Research Area
- Structural Engineering
For more information
Jinhui Yan started his independent research career as an assistant professor in CEE at Illinois since Fall 2018 after finishing a two-year postdoc at Northwestern Univesity. He got his Ph.D. from the University of California, San Diego. Jinhui is broadly working on computational mechanics, fluid-structure interaction, multi-phase flows and isogeometric analysis, and their applications to real-world engineering problems such as wind energy, tidal energy, and metallic additive manufacturing. He is a member of ASME, ASCE, and USACM and has been organizing many symposiums and workshops in these societies. He has won many academic awards, including ASME Robert M. and Mary Haythornthwaite Initiation Grant Award, Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad, Charles Lee Powell Fellowship, and the nomination for the UCSD Chancellor Dissertation Medal. He is always looking forward to working with self-motivated students on challenging research projects.
- Ph.D., Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 08/2016
- M.S., Engineering Mechanics, Peking University, 07/2012
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Wuhan University, 07/2009
- Adjunct Assistant Professor (0%), Advanced Digital Sciences Center in Singapore, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, 03/2019-Present
- Faculty Affiliate (0%), Graduate Program of Computational Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, 03/2019-Present
- Assistant Professor (100%), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, 08/2018-Present
- Postdoc Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, 09/2016-08/2018
Other Professional Activities
- Mini-symposium organizer, "G.I. Taylor Medal Mini-symposium: Variational Multi-scale in Mechanics", 56th Annual Technical Meeting for the Society of Engineering Science (SES), St. Louis, 2019
- Mini-symposium organizer, "Multi Physics/Scale Modeling for Additive Manufacturing", 20th Finite Element in Fluid (FEF) 2019, Chicago.
- Mini-symposium organizer, "Advanced CFD and FSI for Renewable Energy", 20th Finite Element in Fluid (FEF) 2019, Chicago.
- Mini-symposium organizer, "High-fidelity Computational Modeling of Process-Structure-Property Relationships in Additive Manufacturing", World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM) 2018, New York City.
- Editorial board, Forces in Mechanics, Elsevier, 2020-present
- Guest Editor, G.I Taylor Medal Special Issue, Mechanics Research Communications, 2020
- Vice-Chair, Technical Committee on Computational Fluid-Structure Interaction, Applied Mechanics Division, ASME
- Vice-Chair, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Fluid-Structure Interaction Technical Thrust Area (TTA) Committee, USACM
- Committee Member, Computational Mechanics Committee of Engineering Mechanics Institute, ASCE
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- U. S. Association for Computational Mechanics (USACM)
Other Outside Service
- Grant Reviewer, Army Research Office
- Grant Reviewer, National Science Foundation
- Grant Reviewer, Ministry of Science and Technology, Chile
- Grant Reviewer, National Science Foundation, Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong
- Journal Reviewer, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Journal of Computational Physics, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Additive Manufacturing, Mechanics of Materials, Computers and Fluids, Computational Mechanics, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, Ocean Engineering, Transactions of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, Applied Mathematical Modelling, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, Environment International, Applied Energy, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences
- Develop high-fidelity computational methods for fluid-structure interaction, multi-phase flows, and their application to real-world engineering problems in renewable energy and additive manufacturing. For example, he and his group are working on developing computational free-surface fluid-structure interaction method to help understand the dynamic response of offshore floating wind turbines in ocean waves, and improve the survivability and efficiency of the turbine in harsh sea state. He is also working on to high-fidelity multi-scale thermal fluid models to derive process-structure-property relationship in metallic additive manufacturing.
Primary Research Area
- Structural Engineering
For more information
Selected Articles in Journals
- Q. Zhu, J. Yan, "A mixed interface-capturing/interface-tracking formulation for thermal multi-phase flows with emphasis on metal additive manufacturing processes", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2021.113910, (2021).
- Q. Zhu, Z. Liu, J. Yan, "Machine learning for metal additive manufacturing: Predicting temperature and melt pool fluid dynamics using physics-informed neural networks", Computational Mechanics , DOI: 10.1007/s00466-020-01952-9, (2020).
- Z. Zhao, Q. Zhu, J. Yan “A thermal multi-phase flow model for directed energy deposition processes via a moving signed distance function”, Computer Method in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2020.113518, (2020)
- G. Wang, L. Feng, W. Huang, S. Mukherjee, Y. Chen, D. Shen, B. Wang, J. Strzalka, D. Zheng, F. Melkonyan, J. Yan, F. Stoddart, S. Fabiano, D. DeLongchamp, M. Zhu, A. Facchetti, T. Marks “Mixed-flow design for microfluidic printing of two-component polymer semiconductor systems, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2000398117, (2020).
- Z. Zhao, J. Yan “Variational multi-scale modeling of interfacial flows with a balanced-force surface tension model”, Mechanics Research Communication, DOI:10.1016/j.mechrescom.2020.103608, (2020).
- J. Yan, X. Deng, F. Xu, S. Xu, Q. Zhu, Numerical simulations of two back-to-back horizontal axis tidal stream turbines in free-surface flows, Journal of Applied Mechanics, DOI:10.1115/1.4046317, (2020).
- J. Gao, M. Xiao, L. Gao, J. Yan, W. Yan, Isogeometric topology optimization for computational design of re-entrant and chiral auxetic composites, Computer Method in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, DOI:10.1016/j.cma.2020.112876, (2020).
- Q. Zhu, F. Xu, S. Xu, M. Hsu, J. Yan. "An immersogeometric formulation for free-surface flows with application to marine engineering problems". Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, DOI:10.1016/j.cma.2019.112748, (2019).
- Q. Zhu, J. Yan. "A moving-domain CFD solver in FEniCS with applications to tidal turbine simulations in turbulent flows". Computers & Mathematics with Applications, (2019), DOI: j.camwa.2019.07.034
- S. Xu, N. Liu, J. Yan. "Residual-based variational multi-scale modeling for particle-laden gravity currents over flat and triangular wavy terrains, Computers and Fluids, (2019)" DOI: j.compfluid.2019.05.008
- T. Helgedagsrud, Y. Bazilevs, K. Mathisen, J. Yan, and O. Oiseth. "Modeling and simulation of bridge-section buffeting response in turbulent flow." Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences (2019). https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218202519410045
- K. Li, Y. Shao, Z. Lu, H. Yan, Z. Lu, K.J. Griffith, J. Yan, G. Wang, H. Fan, J. Lu, W. Huang, B. Bao, X. Liu, C. Hou, Q. Zhang, Y. Li, J. Y, H. Wang, Lattice contraction triggered synchronous electrochromic actuator, Nature communication, (2018). DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-07241-7
- S. Lin, J. Yan, D. Kats, G. Wagner, A Volume-conserving level set method on unstructured meshes using a control volume finite element formulation, Journal of Computational Physics, , (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.jcp.2018.11.032
- Y. Bazilevs, J. Yan, A. Korobenko, X. Deng, Computer modeling of wind turbines: 2. Freesurface FSI and fatigue-damage, Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, (2018). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-018-9287-y.
- J. Yan, W. Yan, S. Lin, G. Wagner, A fully coupled finite element formulation for liquid-solid-gas thermo-fluid flow with melting and solidification, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2018.03.017
- W. Yan, S. Lin, O. Kafka, Y. Lian, C. Yu, Z. Liu, J. Yan, S. Wol, E. Ndip-Agbora, M. Mozaara, K. Ehmann, J. Cao, G. Wagner, W. Liu, Data-driven multi-scale multi-physics models to derive process-structure-property relationships for additive manufacturing, Computational Mechanics, (2018). DOI: 10.1007/s00466-018-1539-z
- J. Yan, S. Lin, Y. Bazilevs, G. Wagner, Isogeometric analysis of multi-phase flows with surface tension and its application on bubble dynamics, Computers and Fluids, (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2018.04.017.
- R. Li, K. Li, G. Wang, L. Li, Q. Zhang, J. Yan, Y. Chen, Q. Zhang, C. Hou, Y. Li, H. Wang, Ion-Transport Design for High-Performance Na+-based Electrochromics, ASC Nano, (2018). DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.8b00974
- D. Kamensky, F. Xu, C. Lee, J. Yan, Y. Bazilevs, M. Hsu, A contact formulation based on a volumetric potential: Application to isogeometric simulations of atrioventricular valves, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2017.11.007
- A. Korobenko, J. Yan, S. Gohari, S. Sarkar, Y. Bazilevs, FSI simulation of two back-to-back wind turbines in atmospheric boundary layer flow, Computers and Fluids, (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.comp
- J. Yan, X. Deng, A. Korobenko, Y. Bazilevs, Free-surface flow modeling and simulation of horizontal-axis tidal-stream turbines, Computers and Fluids, (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.compuid.2016.06.016. (Tecplot 2016 Plot-Contest Winner)
- J. Yan, A. Korobenko, AE Tejada-Martnez, R. Golshan, Y. Bazilevs, A new variational multiscale formulation for stratified incompressible turbulent flows, Computers and Fluids, (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.comp
- T. Opstal, J. Yan, C. Coley, J. Evans, T. Kvamsdal, Y. Bazilevs, Isogeometric divergence-conforming variational multiscale formulation of incompressible turbulent flows, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2016.10.015.
- J. Yan, A. Korobenko, X. Deng, Y. Bazilevs, Computational free-surface fluid structure interaction with application to floating offshore wind turbines, Computers and Fluids, (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.comp
- Y. Bazilevs, X. Deng, A. Korobenko, J. Yan, Fluid-structure interaction modeling for fatigue-damage prediction in full-scale wind turbine blades, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, (2016). DOI: 10.1115/1.4030795.
- X. Deng, J. Wang, J. Yan, T. Liu, S. Wang, Topology optimization of total femur structure: application of parameterized level set method under geometric constraints, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, (2016). DOI: 10.1115/1.4031803.
- J. Yan, B. Augier, A. Korobenko, J. Czarnowski, G. Keterman, Y. Bazilevs, FSI modeling of a propulsion system based on compliant hydrofoils in a tandem configuration, Computers and Fluids, (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.comp
- Y. Wang, Q. Wang, X. Deng, Z. Xia, J. Yan, H. Xu, Graphics processing unit (GPU) accelerated fast multipole BEM with level-skip M2L for 3D elasticity problems, Advances in Engineering Software, (2015). DOI: 10.1016/j.advengsoft.2015.01.002
- Y. Bazilevs, A. Korobenko, J. Yan, A. Pal, S. Gohari, S. Sarkar, ALE-VMS formulation for stratified turbulent incompressible flows with applications, Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Science, (2015). DOI: 10.1142/S0218202515400114.
- B. Augier, J. Yan, A. Korobenko, J. Czarnowski, G. Ketterman, Y. Bazilevs, Experimental and numerical FSI study of compliant hydrofoils, Computational Mechanics, (2014). DOI: 10.1007/s00466-014-1090-5.
- Y. Bazilevs, J. Yan, M. Stadler, S. Sarkar, Computation of the ow over a sphere at Re = 3700: a comparison of uniform and turbulent inflow conditions, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, (2014). DOI: 10.1115/1.4028754.
- Y. Bazilevs, A. Korobenko, X. Deng, J. Yan, M. Kinzel, J. Dabiri, FSI modeling of vertical-axis wind turbines, Journal of Applied Mechanics, (2014). DOI:10.1115/1.4027466.
- X. Deng, A. Korobenko, J. Yan, Y. Bazilevs, Isogeometric analysis of continuum damage in rotation-free composite shells, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, (2014). DOI: 10.1016j.cma.2014.09.015
- Y. Bazilevs, A. Korobenko, X. Deng, J. Yan, Novel structural modeling and mesh moving techniques for advanced FSI simulation of wind turbines, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, (2014). DOI: 10.1002nme.4738.
- J. Liu, J. Yan, S. Lo, A new insertion sequence for incremental Delaunay triangulation, Acta Mechanica Sinica, (2013). DOI: s10409-013-0001-x.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Q. Zhu, J. Yan, Physics informed machine learning for fluid-structure interaction, International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) High Performance 2021
- J. Lua, J. Yan, P. Li, Z. Zhao, A. Karuppiah, M. Stuebner, Novel Multi-Physics-based Modeling of a Quenching Process with Thermal-Metallurgical-Mechanical Interactions in Aluminum Component, 77th Vertical Flight Society (VFS) Annual Forum, 2021
- J. Yan, Free-surface flow modeling of tidal energy, AEAB2019-Applied Energy Symposium: MIT A+B, 05/22-05/24/2019
- National Scholarship, 2008
- Presidential Fellowship, Peking University, 2009-2012
- Charles Lee Powell Fellowship, UCSD, 2012
- Chinese Government for Outstanding Self-Financed Students, 2016
- ASME Robert M. and Mary Haythornthwaite Young Investigator Award, 2018