Department, College and Campus Events
Several department events held each year give students a chance to make new friends, learn about the department, celebrate achievements and further career development.
Events for new students:
- CEE Fall Kick-off: typically held the first week of classes for first year and transfer students. Learn about CEE student organizations and how to get involved.
- New Graduate Student Orientation: New M.S. and Ph.D. students gather the Friday before Fall classes start to learn about the department, academic program information, and key personnel and resources.
- Backpack to Briefcase: held over the course of fall semester, these career development workshops are intended to help prepare students for the transition from school to the workplace.
- CEE Job Fair: held every September and February, the CEE Job Fair brings recruiters to campus for civil and environmental engineering students.
- CEE Graduation Receptions: held every May and December to celebrate graduating CEE students
- Student Awards Convocation: typically held in April, this event brings together scholarship winners and donors for a luncheon and awards presentation
The College holds several student events throughout the year. Events include:
- Dean's Student and Family Welcome (August)
- Launch! (August): your official welcome to The Grainger College of Engineering
- EOH: Engineering Open House (April or May): a popular student-run event open to the general public
- Senior Send-Off (May): held shortly before graduation each year, to celebrate graduating Grainger engineers
- Engineering Career Fair (Spring and Fall)
The University of Illinois maintains several campus calendars to promote community-wide events of interest, cultural and arts activities, entertainment and recreation offerings, and Fightining Illini sports. Notable events include:
- Quad Day (August): typically held the day before classes start, Quad Day finds hundreds of student organization setting up booths on the Quad
- Commencement (December and May): UIUC holds two commencement ceremonies each academic year