Appendix 5 - Graduate Course Requirements for MS Track in Engineering Materials and Additive Manufacturing Technologies
Engineering Materials and Additive Manufacturing Technologies, or EM(MA)T, is a new track to collaborate and attract top students with the excitement in 3D printing that requires technical knowledge in mechanics and materials.
Graduate Course Requirements for MS Degree in CE/EE
Students are required to take 5 core courses (20 credit hours) from the main three subjects below with at least one from each of the main subjects below. The remaining 4 courses (16 credit hours) are technical elective courses selected with advisor approval.
Mechanics (minimum 4 hours):
- CEE 471 Structural Mechanics
- CEE 498 Mechanics of Additive Manufacturing
- CEE 570 Finite Element Methods
- CEE 576 Nonlinear Finite Elements
- CEE 577 Computational Inelasticity
- CEE 598 Advanced FE Methods
- CEE 598 Theory of Heterogeneous Materials
- CEE 598 Const. Modeling of Eng. Mat.
- CEE 598 Structural Design Optimization
Materials Synthesis and Characterization (minimum 4 hours):
- CEE 401 Concrete Materials
- CEE 405 Asphalt Materials I
- CEE 501 Const. Mat. Characterization
- CHEM 522 Experimental Spectroscopy
- MSE 580 Diffraction Physics of Materials
- CEE 598 Advanced Bit. Materials
- CEE 503 Construction Material Deterioration
Physics and Chemistry (minimum 4 hours):
- MSE 457 Polymer Chemistry
- MSE 458 Polymer Physics
- CEE 502 Advance Cement Chemistry
- CEE 544 Advanced Surface Science
PhD Road Map:
- Direct admit to PhD program is allowed.
- Continued coursework: 8 graded courses total beyond MS, 4 of the which must be at the 500 level.
- Students must enroll in the EM(MA)T seminar series every semester.
- Students must pass the Interdisciplinary Qualifying Exam (QE) for admission to PhD Candidacy in the EM(MA)T program. The QE comprises a written part on topics from the three main subjects indicated above for the MS degree and an oral part on a research topic.
- Preliminary Exam to approve dissertation topic.
- Continue research full-time, attend conferences, write technical papers, complete dissertation.
- Take Final Examination on dissertation research.